Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Debbie



Debbie, a.k.a. Mom: Silver Leaf Necklace

I'm choosing my mom first because she is the first woman to have really influenced me, and impressed me by the way she lives her life. So let me tell you a little bit about her, and you'll see why:

Recently my mom has moved in with me, my husband, and our 1 year old daughter. Yes, this is a full house. But no, I don't believe I'm crazy. It has been nice having my mom in our home; she helps us out so much! My mom watches my daughter 2 1/2 days a week. She also helps watch other grandkids throughout the week, volunteers at their schools, watches their various sporting events, and celebrates their birthday with a special outing. She works at the Jordan River temple every Friday morning at 5:30 am! She cooks for us almost every night and provides a good political challenge for me and my husband.

My mom is the oldest of 10 children, then had 10 children herself (I'm lucky number 7!). Family is at the center of her life; as I'm sure you've already deduced, there isn't anything she wouldn't do for her family. She has lost two sons, her second child died at 1 1/2, and the brother just younger than me at age 8. I can hardly stand being away from my daughter for a day, how she has dealt with the loss of two speaks wonders of her personal fortitude. She also lost my philandering father about 15 years ago. I love my dad tremendously, but I still think he's a scuz for what he did. Despite these loses, my mom lives a gracious life. She seems truly thankful for her life and her experiences.

My mom works so hard at everything she does. I credit her for teaching me that if you're going to do something, you might as well do it right. I know from things she's said that she doesn't consider herself creative, or particularly talented. I would wholeheartedly disagree. How much creativity does it take to clothe and feed 10 children on a fireman's salary? Or keep them all entertained during summer days and long winters? My mom seems to always have something up her sleeves to go do with her grandkids. And if I ever need an idea on how to do something (like tying leather cord), I can always get an answer from her.

My mom is also a spiritual force to be reckoned with. Sometimes this is amazing, such as when you hear her bear testimony of the things she believes. Other times it can be a bit domineering, like if you disagree with her on something. But I suppose we're all that way when it comes to things we're passionate about.

I think that's a great way to sum up my mom: passionate. Whatever she touches in this life, she will leave her mark, and it will great.



Don't forget to check back tomorrow to see who the second necklace goes to.

No comments:

Post a Comment